Moving house is hard work!
Juggling everything you need to organise for your move can feel like walking a tightrope blindfolded.
When moving in Singapore, one of the biggest challenges is finding the right mover that is both good value and one that you can trust.
To help you get moving, this article breaks down everything you need to know to select the best mover for you, including:
- Types of movers to choose from 🚚
- Singapore’s top rated movers 🏆
- Cost of hiring movers in Singapore 💰
For a more comprehensive guide on moving in Singapore, you can also check out our 2021 Singapore moving guide. It covers additional things such as how to switch utilities and finding storage space.
Alright, let’s jump into it!
Types of movers to choose from 🚚
Choosing a mover is like selecting an airline (…remember the days of flying? *Sigh*)
Movers are on a scale from budget and no frills to premium and fully serviced.
Movers in Singapore can fall anywhere across this scale and knowing what they offer will help you quickly understand whether you’re getting good value for money.
The below visual provides you a summary of the two extremes of this scale.
No frills is like flying Scoot. It’s bargain prices and customer service can vary. There may also be surprise or hidden charges on the day.
Premium on the other hand is like Singapore Airlines. You’ll pay a higher price but have greater peace of mind that everything is taken care of.
In between both ends, you also have movers that fall somewhere in the middle which is where you are likely to find the most value.
There are exceptions to the above scale. If you are moving only a few pieces of furniture or don’t need boxes, packing or assembly, logistics companies such as LaLaMove offer an affordable option for as little as $50 to move your furniture.
Singapore’s top rated movers 🏆
There can be a lot of mistrust in the moving industry. Especially with stories of some movers adding extra costs on the day. So it’s important to not just shop on price but also find movers that have a good reputation.
From our experience, it’s a little like dating because you can get a good sense if it’s the right match through the initial messages or conversations. First impressions are everything!
For example, are they’re asking questions about your move or just providing you with a quote? Do you like them? Are they respectful of your time? Do they have a good track history with strong reviews?
Listed below are some of the more reputable movers in Singapore based on reviews to jumpstart your search. We also have a list of additional movers here.
Value for money movers
- Cheap Movers Singapore: Reputable mover and has 4.7 stars on Google with 313 reviews. Fast response time, typically within a day. They also offer services for special care items such as piano relocation
- Cube Movers: Very affordable and MTI approved. Response time is fast and 30 boxes for packing is included for free. Cube Movers are also covered with Public Liability Insurance of $1M
- Exped Moving Services: The highest rated we could find with 4.9 stars on Google with 90 reviews. Known for great customer service and being efficient. Available 24/7 by Whatsapp, call or email
- Shalom Movers: Singapore based movers and recently won Gold in the 2021 Expat Living readers choice awards for Best Mover. Shalom offers the full suite of moving services
- Santa Fe: Premium service provider and they are well suited for both domestic and international moving. As they are an international company, they have the ability to provide all the moving services you can think of and are a professional outfit
- Elite Movers: Super professional and great customer service. They will arrange a home survey and provide an accurate quote almost immediately after. Some mixed reviews and are 3.9 stars on Google
Note, we didn’t include any pure no frills / budget Singapore movers but you can check out Carousell and scan the reviews below
Getting a quote
We recommend getting a few quotes from different moving companies so that you can quickly compare and negotiate your move.
To get quotes, you can visit each company’s website or Facebook page and submit your moving request each time.
Or if you want to save 1 – 2 hours, you can get free moving quotes directly from our trusted Singapore moving partners.
It’ll take you about 90 seconds and you’ll start get moving quotes back within a day directly from the movers themselves. Plus you only have to fill out the form once.
Get free moving quotes
from singapore's best movers
Cost of hiring movers in Singapore 💰
Now that you know that movers range from no frills to premium, you can start to compare moving quotes with a little more understanding.
Other factors that drive costs for movers in Singapore include:
- Size of your current place: This lets the mover know the size of the lorry required and how much time is required to move. For example, half or a full day
- Additional services required: For example, dismantling or disposal of furniture
- Lift access: If no lift access, some movers charge a fee for each flight of stairs that their team has to carry boxes and furniture up. This can be an extra $30 – $50 per flight of stairs
- Distance push: If the movers need to carry items more than a certain distance (e.g. > 50m) there can be an extra $60 – $80 cost
- Property charge: Some condos charge a fee for large moving trucks
It’s important you note the above before your move and ensure that it’s all covered in your quote to avoid any last minute surprises.
Estimated cost guidelines
While every move is different, below are some estimated costs. These moving costs have been averaged across past moving data and provides you with a ballpark estimate.
- Smaller moves such as 1 bedroom with some dismantling (e.g. bedframe) is estimated to be between $270 – $295
- Moving from a 2 bedroom condo in the East Coast to a 2 bedroom condo in Holland Village is estimated to cost $630 – $750. This includes dismantling / assemble of furniture and boxes
- For a 3 – 4 bedroom HDB, the moving cost can be $900+ if distance push is required.
These are only estimated costs. For an accurate and personalised quotes from trusted Singapore movers, you can get free moving quotes from Haulmate.
Make your move
Hiring the right mover in Singapore is an important first step to moving into your new place. Finding the right mover can save you plenty of stress and potentially hundreds of dollars so it’s worth getting it right!
Finding the right mover is often just one of the many tasks you need to organise. You may also need to organise other things such as an end of lease clean or just top up on moving boxing.
To help you make your move, Haulmate lets you organise all of your moving services from one place. It’s the only platform in Singapore that allows you to do so, saving you hours during your move. So make sure you check it out today.
If you found this article useful, please share it with anyone you know who is in the process of moving.